Loading Events
  • This event has passed.

Heading Towards a Net Zero and Electric Future

May 10, 2022 @ 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Non-residential buildings in Australia are estimated to annually consume 170PJ of energy and emit 41.3 M tonnes of greenhouse gases (CO₂-e). Approximately 83% of this energy is supplied by electricity with the remaining 17% being natural gas. The reduction of greenhouse gas emissions is very important towards mitigating climate change, which is causing severe devastation across the planet through extreme weather events such as floods, droughts and heatwaves. This presentation will cover the following topics: Typical energy use in non-residential buildings, including results from electricity interval data analysis, consumption trends, maximum demand, power factor and tariffs. Energy Efficiency requirements for buildings including the National Construction Code – Section J requirements, NABERS and Green Star. Typical electricity uses in buildings including power distribution, electrical safety (including AS/NZS 3000 – wiring rules) and lighting. Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems – the need for energy efficiency, the push towards displacing gas with electricity and the inevitable power supply constraints at the point of supply and the building’s power reticulation system. Methods of managing maximum demand including demand side management. The importance of considering Resilience in building services including an introduction to the electrical aspects in the Australian Institute of Refrigeration, Air Conditioning and Heating (AIRAH) Resilience Checklist. Lasath is a keen advocate for Mechanical and Electrical Engineers to communicate effectively and work as a team towards achieving the best outcomes for clients and sustainability, and this presentation will address first hand examples of the benefits of such an approach. Speaker(s): Lasath Lecamwasam (CPEng, FIEAust, FAIRAH, MCIBSE, MASHRAE), Virtual: https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/313440

Venue

Virtual: https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/313440